CO Safety

Carbon monoxide or CO is a colorless and odorless gas. CO poisoning
can occur when a fuel-burning appliance or machine, such as a furnace,
heater or generator, is not working or vented properly. Breathing in CO
at high levels can be fatal.

150+ people die on average each year from consumer product-related carbon monoxide. Knowledge and awareness are the keys to protecting your family. Learn more about the dangers of carbon monoxide at https://www.usfa.fema.gov

Learn what you can do to protect your family from the dangers of CO.

o Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early
warning of CO.
o Install CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping
area and on every level of your home.
o Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all
doors, windows and vents.
o Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of
snow and other debris.