Becoming a volunteer member with Chena-Goldstream Fire & Rescue is an important decision that needs to be well thought out. Our recruitment for volunteers places considerable emphasis on individuals who are pursuing a career in emergency services. Hence, our department operates much like a career department in order to prepare individuals for full-time employment.
Some of our current volunteers do not seek careers in the emergency services but they understand that they can be no less committed to their shifts training, emergency response, daily chores, and staffing, than those members on their shift that are working towards a career.
The requirements for our volunteer members are as follows;
- Attend Recruit Class with 100% attendance and completion of all skills.
- 30 hours minimum, of participation with your assigned shift, per month.
- Class B uniforms are worn when you are on duty.
- Train with your shift to develop teamwork and proficiency.
- Pass the Physical Ability test each year and maintain your physical fitness Firefighter/EMT Physical Ability Test Guidelines or EMS Only Physical Ability Test Guidelines
- Respond to General Alarms regardless of whether it’s your shift or not.
- Continually progress in certifications and developing your operational knowledge and skills.
If you feel that you are able to fulfill these obligations please continue with the application process.
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
In addition to the application, candidates must pass the physical ability test and an oral interview; those who are selected for the academy will be given a physical exam and background check prior to becoming a volunteer.
Completed applications can be mailed or hand delivered to Station 42 at 716 Chena Ridge Rd. Fairbanks, AK 99709, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about our Volunteer program, please contact:
Fire Chief P. Frank Bracken
Phone: (907) 479-5672